The Vagina Chronicles + Top Shelf

I did the poster for the upcoming performance of the Vagina Monologues at dear old Whitman, which turned out to be way more of an involved process than I was expecting. Here's the evolution, for any who are interested. It started with me drawing this outspoken young woman:


The people doing the show, though, thought it was too definitive of what a "feminist" should look like (curvy and sassy?), and asked that I come up with some more abstract stuff incorporating the V and the microphone, which they liked. So I sketched a bunch of little thumbnails and asked them to pick and choose what stuff they liked:


Of those they liked the sideways lips and the V and the mic, and asked me to incorporate those in some way. This is what I came up with (note that there is no microphone, for the simple reason that I defy anyone to draw one that doesn't look like a phallus):



This all took place over the course of several weeks of exchanged e-mails. On another note: My short comic On Tuesday got posted onto Top Shelf 2.0 and it's exciting. You can see it here:. Kudos to Leigh Walton for being an awesome person and making my day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a great poster. And now that I think about it, all mikes do kinda look phallus like. Hmm.

Unknown said...

Oddly enough it's all photoshop and a wacom tablet. So I guess the supplies are digital.

Unknown said...

and thanks! ;)